bhyve machine not starting after upgrading

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 30 22:17:05 UTC 2014

Hi Andrea,

> I had some wonderfully working machines with bhyve with a plain
> 10.0-p4. I just upgraded to 10.1-RC3 and now the VMs won’t boot
> anymore: they get just stuck with "unable to load kernel”. After some
> trials and errors I think I traced it to user boot getting confused
> by a ZFS partition inside the VM.
>
> I did some experiments with set currdev and got the kernel loaded but
> then the machine just hangs.
>
> Please give me some advice :-)

  This was reported by Craig Rodrigues a while back - the email thread is at

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?CAG=rPVd5OQ1Gw6q-e94Ffnk_zPxkFvjaR5bpOOjMg7j-9AvSdw

  I never got around to implementing the flag to disable ZFS boot, but
you may be able to use an alternate workaround. From your manual fix:

OK set currdev=disk0p2:
OK set rootdev=disk0p2:

  Env variables can be set from the bhyveload command line using "-e
<env>=<value>". Now, I'm not sure that currdev and rootdev can be set
that early in the boot, but it's worth a try e.g. add these:

  -e currdev="disk0p2:" -e rootdev="disk0p2:"

later,

Peter.