bhyve machine not starting after upgrading

Andrea Brancatelli abrancatelli at schema31.it
Thu Oct 30 20:18:49 UTC 2014

Hello guys.

I had some wonderfully working machines with bhyve with a plain 10.0-p4. I just upgraded to 10.1-RC3 and now the VMs won’t boot anymore: they get just stuck with "unable to load kernel”. After some trials and errors I think I traced it to user boot getting confused by a ZFS partition inside the VM.

I did some experiments with set currdev and got the kernel loaded but then the machine just hangs.

Please give me some advice :-)

Here’s a capture of the machine and what i did to get it working. Any idea is welcome. Thanks

====

STARTING VM...
Consoles: userboot

FreeBSD/amd64 User boot, Revision 1.1
(root at releng1.nyi.freebsd.org, Tue Oct 21 23:49:55 UTC 2014)
-
can't load 'kernel'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
OK lsdev
host devices:
    host0:   Host filesystem
disk devices:
    disk0:   Guest drive image
      disk0p1: FreeBSD boot
      disk0p2: FreeBSD UFS
      disk0p3: FreeBSD swap
      disk0p4: FreeBSD ZFS
zfs devices:
    zfs:repository
OK show
LINES=24
boot_serial=1
console=userboot
currdev=zfs:repository:
interpret=OK
loaddev=zfs:repository:
prompt=${interpret}
smbios.bios.vendor=BHYVE
OK set currdev=disk0p2:
OK set rootdev=disk0p2:
OK boot
/boot/kernel/kernel text=0xed9008 data=0x117d28+0x176650 syms=[0x8+0x137988+0x8+0x1515f8]
\
=====

-------
Andrea Brancatelli