Linux on BHyVe in 10.0-RELEASE

Markiyan Kushnir markiyan.kushnir at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 12:42:13 UTC 2014

2014-01-29 Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 11:56 PM, Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Where did you get the orignial starter script for this from was it from
>> vmrun or the petitecloud sample script I posted... 2 reasons for asking:
>>
>> 1. It is turning out to be annoying inflexible in-terms of the values of
>> various parameters (I can compensate for most of this in my personal playing
>> with it to make it fit into petitecloud)
>> 2. It uses a non-existent option (-I)
>>
>> Both are characterstics of petitecloud scripts but not so much of vmrun.sh
>> (the main reason I do not recommend using petitecloud scripts except as
>> nothing but barebone starter scripts if you use them to make your own).

I use bare grub-bhyve/bhyve/bhyvectl, wrapped in a shell script in the
manner of vmrun.sh, although fitted to my needs, nothing special. I
didn't have a chance to use petitecloud yet.

>> The reason for bringing all the above up is I am having a very hard time
>> getting it to work and if it is from petitecloud can you please kindly walk
>> me through how you went from my script to yours... the main issue I am
>> attempting to over come is currently PC assumes that there is a single
>> "disk" that represents the "instance" (a running instance is nothing more
>> then loading it into RAM and wrapping a hyperv around it) [e.g. something
>> like /vms/import/ubu.img] and that it contains *ALL* the data that is needed
>> to boot (i.e. no other files are needed)... so far it appears (and I hope I
>> am wrong) there is no way to force a linux instance into this model because
>> you have to have the disk, the cd and the device map in the same dir but
>> kept as separate files.... namely something like this:
>>
>> linux/
>>    device.map
>>    disk.img
>>    cd.img
>>
>> seems to be the only model grub2-bhyve will be able to boot (symlinks at
>> least on the surface seem to be a no go also...)
>

> Turns out absolute pathed symlinks work but relative ones do not

you can also try hard links to CD images, as long as you are OK to not
cross the file system boundaries. Also, in device.map you can specify
absolute paths, and the cd* and hd* images don't have to be in the
same directory.

Yes, looks like grub-bhyve needs the cd0/hd0 pair in device.map, but
you even may cheat it like this:

(cd0) /fake
(hd0) /data2/mkushnir/tmp/diskdev-ubuntu-13

provided that "diskdev-ubuntu-13" has an installed OS on it.