bhyve: can't to passthru bge(4) card

Neel Natu neelnatu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 16:46:26 UTC 2014

Hi Sergey,

> On Jan 21, 2014, at 1:27 AM, Sergey Matveychuk <sem at semmy.ru> wrote:
>
> 21.01.2014 8:56, Neel Natu пишет:
>> I suspect that this is because the function number of the virtual PCI
>> device and the physical PCI device are different.
>>
>> Could you try to use the following instead: -s 2:1,passthru,3/0/1
>
> Thank you. It works.
>
> I've tried 3:1,passthru,3/0/1 but it does not work. What rules for a slot number to choose?

It depends on the PCI function that you are passing to the guest.

For some, e.g. Intel e1000, it does not matter. You can have it appear on a completely different function number in the guest as compared to the host.

For others, e.g. bge, as you discovered, the function numbers in the guest and host have to match.

Also, PCI requires that for a multi-function device, function 0 must be present. So, it is not possible to assign a device to a function > 0 without also having some device present at function 0.

Hope that helps.

Best
Neel