Remote serial console for BHyve VM?

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 12 19:56:15 UTC 2014

On 1/12/14, 5:13 AM, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am working with Sean Bruno to set up some BHyve VM's.
>>
>> Right now, the vmrun.sh script tells BHyve to direct
>> the serial console to stdout.
>>
> Best solution for a permanent remote console I have heard so far is to use
> screen to be able to reconnect to it. We (Dee Nixon and I) have not
> actually done this, however, and are looking for a more portable solution.
>
> If I want to have the VM's start via an rc.d script, and
>> have the VM be headless, what is the best way to have
>> the VM console still be accessible?
>>
> A small hack to PetiteCloud (which neither me or Dee have time for but
> would be very interested in if someone can do it) might be the best here
> since PetiteCloud has auto start on boot -- something that is hard to do
> without a lot of custom scripting if you're going with no front-end.   For
> example it took us over 40 hrs of work to add the auto-start capability to
> PetiteCloud.  (We were never able to get vmrun.sh to start on boot.)
>
>> Has anyone done something like use netcat
>> to direct the BHyve stdio to a socket?

since I think bHyve can export a socket for debugger control, I'm
surprised it cant' export a socket for the serial console.. a bit like
dcons.. In fact I'd like to see dcons work with bhyve..
it would be neat to implement a version of the dcons code that used a
signal instead of polling..
also it'd be nice it the gdb remote could access the machine's memory
without VM co-operation.