bhyve crashes... tip to /dev/nmdm1B

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Wed Feb 19 22:33:33 UTC 2014

Hi Rudy,

> # tip vm1
> Could not open backing file: No such file or directory

  This is a valid error message from bhyve, and happens when the file
attached to a block device can't be opened.

> connected
>
> {...I hit ENTER 5 times here...}

  This is probably the delay due to core being dumped.

> [1]    Segmentation fault            bhyve -c 2 -m 2048M -H -P -A -s
> 0:0,hostbridge -s 1:0,lpc -s 2:0,virtio-net,tap0 -s 3,ahci-cd,vm1.iso -l
> com1,/dev/nmdm1A -s 4,virtio-blk,/dev/zvol/data/vm1 vm1 (core dumped)
>

> I relaunched the VM and it works now...  Anyone seen issues with nmdm?

  Try running in the foreground (-l com1,stdio) to see if bhyve can
access the iso and zvol OK.

  (There is a bug here in that bhyve should just exit out if the backing
image doesn't exist rather than dumping core.)

later,

Peter.