VirtualBox + FreeBSD 9-STABLE == Frozen Ethernet

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Wed May 8 02:49:59 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-06 2:49 PM, Norbert Beckmann wrote:
> To Marc G. Fournier
>
> I do not think it's an issue with VirtualBox. I am running VirtualBox
> under Solaris. And I never had problems with it.
> Guests: ubuntu, Windows 7, Linux Mint, FreeBSD, Chrome OS.
> But the people of VirtualBox themselves state that Windows is somewhat
> delicate (don't remember whether they meant as guest or as host, I
> think both).
> Which would be comprehensible, because Windows has never become a real
> multi user / multi process system as Unix was by birth (nearly).
> I can neither help concerning the freezing Ethernet nor did I encounter
> similar things (as far as I remember).
My first thought is that its something in the vboxnet kernel module when
using a bridge ... I think the problem has been getting progressively
worse, with each upgrade, but since I upgrade both vBox and the kernel
in tandem, I'm currently working on going 'back in time' with the code,
see if I can find some 'stable point' ...

If anyone with more knowledge can suggest any commands I can run to
provide debug info, or such ... ?  I don't mind debugging, just dont'
know what to provide that is useful ...