bhyve in -current 4/14/13 can no longer support FreeBSD stable install

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 17 20:56:17 UTC 2013

Hi Alfred,

>> If you do this repeatedly, it may be possible to see some patterns
>> e.g. counters incrementing, %RIP values being the same etc.
>>
> Hmm, I keep seem to be getting this:
> /usr/home/alfred # bhyvectl --get-all --cpu=0 --vm=freebsd-stable
> lowmem 0x0000000000000000/536870912
> highmem 0x0000000100000000/0
> errno = 16
> /usr/home/alfred # bhyvectl --get-all --cpu=1 --vm=freebsd-stable
> lowmem 0x0000000000000000/536870912
> highmem 0x0000000100000000/0
> errno = 16

  Yeh, this is a problem :( Currently, the stats gathering does a
trylock on the VM to avoid having the VM be perturbed by the bhyvectl
process. We probably need to put something in there so it can eventually
get the lock, and hence the stats, when the VM is busy rather than
forcing the user to retry.

  The work around is to send a SIGSTOP to the bhyve process and then run
the bhyvectl. A SIGSTART will then set the VM going again.

later,

Peter.