VirtualBox + VIMAGE

Mikolaj Golub to.my.trociny at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 14:25:59 UTC 2011

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:22:40 +0100 Bernhard Froehlich wrote:

 BF> Sounds like it's my turn now. Which FreeBSD version is required to be
 BF> able to use it?

As Bjoern noted it is for __FreeBSD_version >= 800500.

 BF> Is VIMAGE enabled per default and what happens if VIMAGE is disabled -
 BF> does it at least build fine with that patch?

We have VIMAGE disabled by default.

I have added to src/VBox/HostDrivers/VBoxNetFlt/freebsd/Makefile:

.if defined(VIMAGE)
 CFLAGS += -DVIMAGE
.endif

So to build the driver for VIMAGE enabled kernel one should run

VIMAGE=1 make

If VIMAGE variable is not defined the module for VIMAGE disabled kernel will
be built.

I am not familiar with VBox build process so there might be a better solution.

I suppose we should have an option in ports, something:

.if ${OSVERSION} < 800500
OPTIONS+=        VIMAGE "Build for VIMAGE kernel" off
.endif

and if it is on set VIMAGE make environment variable. Or may be you have
a better solution.

 BF> For Mikolaj Golub to get this patch upstream we need that you either
 BF> agree that his patch is under the MIT License or sign a Sun Contributors
 BF> Agreement. Then we can submit that patch upstream or you can do it
 BF> yourself if you prefer. Read here:
 BF> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Contributor_information

MIT License is ok.

It would be very nice of you if you submitted the patch upstream :-). If
nobody do this then I will try to submit it myself.

--
Mikolaj Golub