VIMAGE: Freed UMA keg was not empty

Dan danmartinj at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 18 19:00:07 UTC 2010

Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch at ...> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Bjoern A. Zeeb
> <bzeeb-lists at ...> wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Marko Zec wrote:
> >
> >> Actually, we never seriously discussed or revisited the issue with
> >> separate
> >> UMA pools for each vnet instance.
> >>
> >> My original motivation when O introduced separate UMA pools was primarily
> >> in
> >> making it easier to spot resource leaks, and to prove the correctness of
> >> the
> >> whole VIMAGE / VNET thing.  Having more or less achieved those goals,
> >> perhaps
> >> the time has come to move on.  Having said that, and given that the
> >> current
> >> VIMAGE resource allocation model is far from being optimal (a lot of
> >> memory
> >> sits reserved but 99% unused, and cannot be reclaimed later on vnet
> >> teardown), perhaps it's time that we reconsider using unified UMA pools.
> >
> > I think there is a misunderstanding here;  it can be
reclaimed by the
> > time we have the teardown properly sorted out and
it will immediately
> > help normal non-VIMAGE systems under memory
pressure as well.
> > The problem is that, at least for TCP (and UDP in one special case as
> > I found after lots of testing), we are no there yet.
> >
> > After that, when it comes to resource usage, I am still wondering how
> > trasz' resource limits will plug into that.  By the time we can see
> > those coming together we should be able to decide whether to go left
> > or right.
> >

> I've been running into this memory exhaustion as well, having a need
> to stop and start my VIMAGE jails frequently.
>
> I'm confident that the proper solution will be worked out, but I
> wonder what sort of time-frame we may be looking at -- is VIMAGE
> expected to be production by 9.0-RELEASE? Also, does anyone know the
> current status of trasz's work (which I believe is to be completed
> December of this year)? I hope it's still on schedule :)
>
> -Brandon

Hey there,

I have been experiencing a similar problem.  I am running
Freebsd8.1 64bit Release and after closing
my server application I come across

this type of message
Freed UMA keg was not empty (672 items).  Lost 4 pages of
memory

The more virtual nodes I use the more of these message I have.
Someone told me this does not mean
anything but after reading this it seems I should be worried.
It does show up in my log files as well.
I wonder if running a fsck will resolve any issues after I
have this problem?  Hopefully we can find a
solution because I rely on my application heavily.

Thanks,

Dan