limitations on jail style virtualization

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Sun Nov 14 04:25:08 UTC 2010

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010, Julian Elischer wrote:

Hi Julian,

> It was only a short discussion among "non developers" during a short breakout
> session.
> the session was "what is this VIMAGE/jails thing"?
> and was not a dev-summit  meeting but an "introduction to vimage" for end
> users.

Ok. Thanks for the follow-up.  Much appreciated.

> During the discussion people were asking questions that they had. Some of the
> questions
> I could answer well but others resulted in discussions that ended up with
> things like,
> "we you could do that but that would require that you had a different
> /dev/pfsync for
> each jail, and we have no way to do that yet".

Well, to my understanding pfsync might already be fixed but maybe it
was just /dev/pf.  Ermal might want to follow-up but to my
understanding a) there'll be one for every jail (given you allow it to
show up in devfs) and b) based on credtials on open you'll figure out
the right jail.

> I promised the group that after the meeting I would bring up the topic with
> other interested
> developers... so here we are..

Tahnks a lot!

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                              Welcome a new stage of life.
         <ks> Going to jail sucks -- <bz> All my daemons like it!