ViirtualBox + cpio problems

Mikolaj Rydzewski miki at ceti.pl
Tue Mar 16 16:49:12 UTC 2010

Hello to everyone here,

I'd like to share with you some strange problem I encountered recently.

I wanted to test procedure for server upgrade. So I decided to perform
such test  using VirtualBox software. First I wanted to make some basic
tests, I installed fresh 8.0-REL, everything seemed to work fine, up to
the point I ran (with separate virtual drive mounted under /mnt):

cd /
find -x ./ | cpio -o | (cd /mnt; cpio -i)

cpio threw error messages 'cannot create file', some files were restored
correctly, some were corrupted. I performed similiar test several times,
with errors every time.

Has anybody got any clue what was wrong? Is it a known issue? Is there
any configuration option to fix it?

Thanks

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <miki at ceti.pl>