Imunes and FreeBSD 8.0 RC2

Marko Zec zec at icir.org
Wed Nov 11 13:34:34 UTC 2009

On Monday 09 November 2009 11:37:41 Huth, Hans-Peter wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i have just installed FreeBSD 8.0 RC2 and wanted to play around
> > with imunes/vimage, but i couldn't find it in the installed version
> > (from DVD ISO). Did i just missed something, or what do i have to
> > install something in addition? If so, FTP URLS would be helpful as my
> > BSD machine is not in a network.
> >
> > Build a custom kernel with option VIMAGE. You can initialize a
>
> vimage-enabled
>
> >jail with:

> > The work on vnet is well done, and has been reliable through all of my
>
> load
>
> > testing.

> i have build the kernel now (from 8.0 RC2 DVD), but imunes and vimage
> are still not there.
> What is missing? Or am i stuck with Rel. 7 and patching? I want to play
> around with the
> Imunes network emulation features. Docu at
> http://imunes.tel.fer.hr/virtnet/ does not help either,
> directories under src are different.

Hi,

here's the procedure which should be sufficient to get IMUNES up and running
on FreeBSD 8.0-RC3 (I've tested this on amd64, but i386 should work as well):

- Install 8.0-RC3, along with the full src tree and the following packages:
    xorg-7.4_2
    tk-8.4.19_2,2
    quagga-0.99.15
    xorp-1.6.tbz
    wireshark-1.2.2
    netperf-2.4.5

- Fetch a kernel patch required for IMUNES to work, and patch the kernel:
    cd /tmp
    fetch http://imunes.net/imunes-8.0-RC3.diff
    cd /usr
    patch < /tmp/imunes-8.0-RC3.diff

- Create a VIMAGE kernel config in /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/VIMAGE:
    include GENERIC
    options VIMAGE
    nooptions SCTP
    options KDB