Imunes and FreeBSD 8.0 RC2

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Mon Nov 9 18:42:33 UTC 2009

Huth, Hans-Peter wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> i have just installed FreeBSD 8.0 RC2 and wanted to play around
>> with imunes/vimage, but i couldn't find it in the installed version
>> (from DVD ISO). Did i just missed something, or what do i have to
>> install something in addition? If so, FTP URLS would be helpful as my
>> BSD machine is not in a network.
>
>> Build a custom kernel with option VIMAGE. You can initialize a
> vimage-enabled
>> jail with:

>> The work on vnet is well done, and has been reliable through all of my
> load
>> testing.

> i have build the kernel now (from 8.0 RC2 DVD), but imunes and vimage
> are still not there.
> What is missing? Or am i stuck with Rel. 7 and patching? I want to play
> around with the
> Imunes network emulation features. Docu at
> http://imunes.tel.fer.hr/virtnet/ does not help either,
> directories under src are different.

You have all the system parts required, but you also need to get the
immunes sources. They are not part of FreeBSD.

The 'vimage'  program is not in FreeBSD because the functionality
has been taken over by the 'jail' command.
'vimage' is still available however in the repository at
src/tools/tools/vimage.  use the web interfaqce to get to it
at:
http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/head/tools/tools/vimage/