PERFORCE change 143354 for review

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Thu Jun 12 16:49:20 UTC 2008

James Gritton wrote:
> Julian Elischer wrote:
>>     Use the real hostname for dumps
>>     it has been suggested that we define a R_hostname to mean Real
>> hostname
>>

> Another option, particularly for hostname, is just to leave the
> "hostname" global variable.  Right now both jail and vimage hostnames
> are fixed arrays in their structures, but I'm considering going to
> pointers instead (as a jail may or may not have a virtual hostname).
> Then the "root jail" could just point to the static hostname[] array
> which can continue to exist under its own name.
>
> It could be that hostname is the special case here, as far as having a
> significant number of "global" references.  Load average may have that
> case too, but I'm not sure yet.

Load average would be later on.. we are not planning on doing htat in
this round. but you are right.. it is something where it makes sense
in both global and local scope.

Since vimage is hierarchical, I think however that it makes sense if
the load average of a vimage includes the load average of children.
thus the load average of the root vimage would be that of the whole
machine.

just an idea.