kinda headsup..

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Mon Jun 9 23:03:30 UTC 2008

Julian Elischer wrote:

> James Gritton wrote:
>
>> Could we have a list of what isn't expected to actually commit?  So
>> the scheduler stuff is out.  Is that all of the struct vcpu?  Parts of
>> struct vprocg?  I see some scheduling bits in both.
>>
>> Aside from vnet/vinet and the doomed scheduling bits, I see not much
>> besides the hostname, domain name, and morphing symlinks.  Are these
>> staying?  The hostname is already in jails ,and the domainname makes
>> sense in my new jail framework - the morphing symlinks might be
>> something best left for later.
>

> domain name and hostname both stay..
> Hostname is tricky because both jail and vimage expect to change it..
> though jail only really expects it to be virtualised to the user
> rather than REALLY VIRTUALISED.
>
> The morphing symlinks are an experimental feature.
> The verio guys have some work in that direction too that they want to
> work on.... hmmm that's not you is it?

Are there somebody who can shed some light on "what is planned in Jail /
Vimage" for near future? I read many times "we talked about it at the
developers summit" or "we will publish them on a wiki", but it is a long
time ago and real informations are still kind of secret.
I am working on page http://wiki.freebsd.org/Jails and I will be glad to
publish as more informations as I can.
For example, what is morphing symlinks? Or I know Verio has VPS on
FreeBSD with fair-share resource management - are there some plans to
have it in the src tree? Are you in contact with them?

I think there are many developers working / thinking on some
virtualization stuff but diverged and users (potential testers) know
almost nothing about this 'work-in-progress'.

> Loadavg etc. is not "out for ever" just "not in the first commit set."
> as they have not been extensively tested, and probably need more work.

What we can expect from loadavg and "scheduler" stuff?

>> Ideally, for integration purposes, the vnet/vinet would hang off jails
>> that have pretty much the same capability as the vimage structure, and
>> then other bits could be added later.  I don't want to worry about
>> trying to integrate features that aren't in the final cut anyway.
>

> the aim is that vimage and jail structures would merge.

Are there some good examples of how things "will work" in vimage+jail
world? (not from developers view, but from users view)

> as the for "final cut", the schedule only covers initial commits of
> the vnet code, but once the framework is in place more functionality
> would be added.
>

>> - Jamie
>>

>> Julian Elischer wrote:

>>> This diff there includes experimental changes to virtualise things
>>> like load average, and they will not be part of the commit.
>>> so ignore anything that smells like "scheduler"

Miroslav Lachman