R_xxx counterparts to the V_xxx macros

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Sat Jun 7 17:26:18 UTC 2008

James Gritton wrote:
> Julian Elischer wrote:
>> It's an interesting idea, however what is the "real" hostname?
>> what makes one vimage the 'real' one?
>
> You could ask this if all images were indeed equal.  However, they're
> hierarchical, and there's one that is there when the box starts up, and
> can't be gotten rid of.  If there weren't a "real" hostname, there would
> never be a place in the code where you don't have a better choice than
> using thread0's credential.
>
>> I wouldn't do it for all variables however..
>
> Quite true.  I suspect that most variables replaced by vnet always have
> a context that they naturally belong to, and would never need to know
> about a "real" value.  I think it's the few that are outside of vnet
> that would most show this.
>
> My focus right now is jail integration, so these are the parts that I
> notice, as vnet wouldn't be integrated with jails so much as placed on
> top of them (as they are now placed on top of vimage which is almost but
> not quite entirely vnet).

excellent.

Be aware that the patch
( http://www.freebsd.org/~julian/vimage.diff ) (updated today)
may not be EXACTLY what is committed as we are re-doing it
in order to abide by the plan worked out at the Ottawa devsummit.

This plan wants us to break up the patch into parts so
it may result in a very slightly different outcome in a few places..

I do believe we do want to integrate the jails and vimage a bit more..
let us know what you are thinking...