Apple Fry and I Scream (Manchester BSD UG tonight)

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 09:57:32 UTC 2008

The observant amongst you will have noticed I *DID NOT* forget to send
out the reminder last week for the Manchester BSDUG meeting.

It was just very, very small. Perhaps you missed it. It really was
very tiny. Don't blame me if your eyesight is going there "Granddad",
OK?!

and so I need to do Magic Things sometime Real Soon Now to restore
normal service by moving us somewhere else. Many of you are getting
this via BCC.

Anyway, the - very clever, go on admit it - subject line refers to the
fact that Apple-fan-boi Stephen Fry has been corrupted by Comrade Matt
Lee into supporting this GNU malarky, and then the same said Comrade
Matt Lee corrupted me into becoming an EU mirror for these mutterings
in a format nobody has a codec installed for:

http://vagueware.com/gnu/

Obviously I am an idiot in allowing my company name to be tarnished
with such propaganda, but hey, it's almost Christmas. I know it must
be almost Christmas, because on Sunday the boss of my local was
showing me this year's Christmas decorations. They are lovely in the
sense that only blue LEDs arranged in a shape reminiscent of the Star
of David could be considered lovely.

I digress. Today is the first Tuesday of the month. This is the matter
at hand.

That means tonight at the allotted hour of 1930 hours UTC+1 (-ish), I
hereby request your attendance at the Briton's Protection public house
on Great Bridgewater Street, Manchester, UK.

We shall discuss:

- The downfall of Stephen Fry
- The propagandist Matthew Lee
- Tacky Christmas decorations
- Hitler penguins (no, really)
- The fact Sam won't be in attendance because - I quote - "Tuesday is
Yoga night"
- Why as a Manchester City fan I want to cry today
- Maybe some Unix stuff at some point?

These discussions will continue until 2130 hours UTC+1 (double-ish),
at which point we will disperse in a chaotic manner by way of perhaps
another bar.

--
Paul Robinson