Information on starting a BSD User Group

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed May 21 13:55:39 UTC 2008

Darrin Chandler wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:07:44PM -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
>> I am working with a few others to coordinate a BSD User Group near the
>> Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area, hopefully including northeast Maryland,
>> Delaware, and New Jersey.  Although I won't be relocating to the area for
>> approximately a month or so, I was hoping to get information, or a push in
>> the right direction, to what some BUGs have done to attract attention, gain
>> members, etc.
>>
>> I have already searched for some LUGs in the area mentioned above, and
>> unfortunately have only found one, which was rather discouraging.  Any
>> information would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Good for you!
>
> You've found a LUG. See if you can find local groups for SAGE or LOPSA,
> find the local Universities, community colleges, and tech schools, too.
> Distribute announcements to mailing lists for the LUG and any tech
> groups in the schools, etc. Just think of anywhere there might be
> interest in BSD and get the word out.
>
> For our group, I've found attendance ties closely with the presentation.
> If there's a good presentation then people come. Write up a good
> description and get it out on mailing lists and on your web site as soon
> as you can.
>
> Some of the people doing BSD User Groups have gotten together at
> http://metabug.org/ so feel free to join us. We hang out online on
> freenode in #metabug. Feel free to drop in and ask questions.

I was going to point out MetaBug. . . particularly since they seem
pretty close in distance from you. . .

It's Jason Dixon and crew in the capitol region. (jd's cc'd).

We are up the line in NYC (nycbug.org) and are focused on NYCBSDCon
(.org) for October.

I'd also recommend starting up a mailing list, getting the word out to
the various BSD lists related to BUGs in a broad way, and then seeing
what you have.  We are more than willing to host the list if you hit me
offline.

George