Fwd: Serious breach of copyright -- First post

Dennis Olvany dennisolvany at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 04:03:16 UTC 2006

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Dennis Olvany <dennisolvany at gmail.com> writes:
>> The concept of a fact obviously may not be copyrighted because it is
>> merely a concept. Barring descriptive literary devices, the facts may be
>> copied at will in their expressed form. A photo, being a descriptive
>> device, is copyrightable. Considering the example of the Haynes manual,
>> I can extract factual information --such as a starter change procedure--
>> from the manual word-for-word and use it.

> No, you can't.  Don't take my word for it; ask a lawyer.

Johnathan Michaels hit on the next point I would like to make and that
is the distinction between patent and copyright. A method or process may
be patented, but the factual written procedure of such may not be
copyrighted. I'll follow up with some examples of the types are things
that are not copyrightable in a final attempt to convey my point.

Roses are red.

Violets are blue.

2+2=4

howto change oil