source upgrade

Richard Gliebe richard.gliebe at fhv.at
Fri Dec 23 00:50:44 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 09:33 -0600, Josh Paetzel wrote:

Hi (or good morning ?)

> > I'm looking for a good step-by-step howto for source upgrade.
>
> Heya!  The handbook is a pretty good reference but the info for
> upgrading is sort of disorganized in my opinion. I can give you a
> step by step guide but first I will need to know what version of FBSD
> (assuming that we are talking about FBSD!) that you are currently
> running as well as which version of FBSD you want to end up with.

I have to upgrade the following FreeBSD versions:
_FreeBSD 4.8-RC
_FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE
_FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE (maybe upgrade to FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE - if it is
possible)

> Here's some relevent links from the handbook:
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

thanks for these links, I'll read them during the x-mas holidays ;-)

> Let me know if you are still stuck after reading those pages and I'll
> give you some help. :)

that will be nice ;-)

Kind regards and happy X-mas
Richard