Question on ue devices autoconfigure versus Linux.

Jesus Monroy jessemonroy650 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 01:05:33 UTC 2014

Alfred,
I usually don't get the USB mailing list in my inbox. However,
for some reason I fished this out of spam. Indicating to me
I should answer this.

THE ANSWER:

Hot swapping has never been a strong point for BSD.
Basically they think, "hot swapping" means, flip a
mechanical switch, remove the device. They DON'T
think like a USB device; which is "plug in and pull"
- at will.

In the Linux world, there is an army of people that
attack problems like this 'ad hoc'. The BSD
community is far too formal to get it done in
any reasonable time frame.

In the Linux world, there are a host of "post-boot"
solutions, such as systemd, busd, etc. They all
generally trap an event, be it real (such as an IRQ),
network, program, or user.  This is usually
leverage by /proc, dmesg or similar.

Hope this helps.
FWIW: I'm living in El Paso Texas for the next 6 months.

Best of Luck,
Jesse