Fwd: USB to parallel for printer HP LaserJet 4mL

Hans Petter Selasky hps at selasky.org
Sat Jun 14 18:16:13 UTC 2014

On 06/14/14 20:11, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Saturday, June 14, 2014 a las 08:39:42AM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky escribió:
>
>>> I can not get any use full traffic dump from them. Someone could point
>>> me to a working tool for Win7. I know, our list deals with FreeBSD
>>> software, but it is some kind of re-engineering why Win7 works with a
>>> device and FreeBSD does not :-)
>>>
>> You might be able to remove "ulpt" driver from the kernel config and
>> also "mv -i /boot/kernel/ulpt.ko /boot/kernel/ulpt.ko.old" and run Win7
>> from Virtualbox or a VM and see what happens. Then you can sniff the USB
>> traffic in the VM USB host.
>
> Hi,
> This is for administrative reasons not an option in my office and at
> home I do not have Win*.
>
> 	matthias

Ok, lets try to figure out the:

in sys/dev/usb/serial/ulpt.c try to comment out:

#if 0
         if (sc->sc_fflags == 0)
                 usbd_transfer_start(sc->sc_xfer[ULPT_INTR_DT_RD]);
#endif

In function:

static void
ulpt_watchdog(void *arg)
{
         struct ulpt_softc *sc = arg;

         mtx_assert(&sc->sc_mtx, MA_OWNED);

         /*
          * Only read status while the device is not opened, due to
          * possible hardware or firmware bug in some printers.
          */
         if (sc->sc_fflags == 0)
                 usbd_transfer_start(sc->sc_xfer[ULPT_INTR_DT_RD]);

         usb_callout_reset(&sc->sc_watchdog,
             hz, &ulpt_watchdog, sc);
}