Exclude USB drivers from main kernel image?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Mar 4 20:05:47 UTC 2012

On Mar 4, 2012, at 5:44 AM, Robert Millan wrote:

> El 3 de març de 2012 19:37, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> ha escrit:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Your patch looks good.
>>>
>>> Are there any objections committing the patch attached to the previous e-mail?
>>
>> Do all the platforms that had the devices removed work?  Have they all been tested?
>
> I've tested the i386 flavour on a FreeBSD VM. It boots and
> successfully loads ums.ko.
>
> Aside from that, a very similar setup has been tested for i386 and
> amd64 on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, for several months.
>
> I'm unable to test the other architectures.  But if you're more
> comfortable that way, I have no problem with excluding them from my
> patch.

It is the other architectures that I'm specifically worried about.  I know that x86 flavors will work even without testing them specifically since I've been doing something akin to this for years.  I've not had good luck always with arm and mips platforms and USB, so I'd feel better if we could get some testing done there.  I'll see what I can dig up from my board pile to test, but my coverage will be limited.

Read this as a "go ahead with x86, please wait on the others for more data" from me.

Warner