System hang in USB umass module while processing panic

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 25 15:01:36 UTC 2011

on 19/05/2011 22:27 Shah, Vishal said the following:
> In FreeBSD 8 USB driver, commands are asynchronously sent from umass layer onto
> the wire, in other words, multiple threads are involved before the command is
> sent from the umass layer all the way to the wire. Since the usb_proc is not
> scheduled current process keeps waiting for the command to complete, hence the
> hang. Is this a known issue? If yes, is there a fix available? Are there any
> plans of adding a synchronous path to send the command to the device? Any
> information regarding this issue is much appreciated.

>From your description this sounds like a problem in USB driver.
I am not an expert in USB code, looks like some polling prodding would have to be
added there (if it's not there yet).  Hans Petter may be a better contact for this
issue.
I am not sure if I can help you more.

--
Andriy Gapon