usb serial port device naming

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Tue May 17 07:26:43 UTC 2011

Hello,

I recently started moving our console server from one box (4.11) to
another (8.1).  The old box had some RocketPort PCI cards and a 16 port
USB to serial adapter.  I moved the USB to serial device to the 8.1 box
and added another 8 port USB to serial adapter.

I moved the 16 port box without a reboot, and then added the 8 port box.
I started setting up conserver (console server software) with the new
device names, and then decided perhaps a reboot to verify the device names
"stuck" across reboots was in order.  Sure enough, on reboot the 8 port
device preceded the 16 port - meaning my /dev/ttyU0 moved from being the
first port on the 16 port box to being the first port on the 8 port box.

Is there anything I can do to "lock" these port assignments?  I suspect
that on a reboot the order will stay the same, but if someone flips the
ports around or unplugs either of these while the box is up all my console
mappings will get scrambled.

Thanks,

Charles