ACM interface on TI Launchpad

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Sun Jan 30 09:32:20 UTC 2011

On Sunday 30 January 2011 01:32:01 Peter Jeremy wrote:
> I recently acquired a TI LaunchPad[1] and want to use FreeBSD as my
> development enviroment (for anyone else who is interested in this, at
> some stage I intend to post my experiences with the various ports to
> -ports or feel free to contact me off-list).  It provides a FET430UIF
> USB interface to the host computer and some googling shows that this
> is a Communication Device Class (CDC), Abstract Control Model (ACM)
> sub-class which is supported in Linux via the cdc_acm driver.
>
> On FreeBSD 8.1, umodem(4) reports:
>  ugen0.2: <Texas Instruments> at usbus0
>  umodem0: <MSP430 Application UART> on usbus0
>  umodem0: data interface 0, has no CM over data, has no break
> and creates /dev/ttyU0 (and friends) but mspdebug reports that it
> cannot access the UIF (so it is presumably talking to the device
> UART, rather than the control interface).
>
> I have tried adding the device id to usbdevs and
>   {USB_VPI(USB_VENDOR_TI, USB_PRODUCT_TI_FET430UIF, 1)},
> to sys/dev/usb/serial/umodem.c:umodem_devs[] and this changes the
> probe to:
>  ugen4.2: <Texas Instruments> at usbus4
>  umodem0: <MSP430 Application UART> on usbus4
>  umodem0: data interface 0, has no CM over data, has no break
>  umodem1: <MSP430 Debug-Interface> on usbus4
>  umodem1: Missing descriptor. Assuming data interface is next.
>  umodem1: data interface 2, has CM over data, has no break
>  umodem1: no data interface
>  device_attach: umodem1 attach returned 6
>  umodem1: <MSP430 Debug-Interface> on usbus4
>  umodem1: Missing descriptor. Assuming data interface is next.
>  umodem1: data interface 2, has CM over data, has no break
>  umodem1: no data interface
>  device_attach: umodem1 attach returned 6
> but there's no change to the accessibility.

Hi,

There is a patch pending for allowing a CDC modem interface not having the
correct descriptors to work. It is not yet committed. You could try adding the
VID+PID to u3g.c. Basically, your modem should have worked, given that the
manufacturer had followed the specs. Another alternative is to use LibUSB.

Could you remind me about this issue in one week or so?