Intermittent pauses copying from one usb drive to another

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Sat Feb 5 19:10:36 UTC 2011

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 11:28:31 -0500
Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net>wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 05 February 2011 16:18:56 Donald Allen wrote:
> > > Does whoever is responsible for CAM/SCSI
> > > know about this and do you know if there are plans to fix it? What is the
> > > point of "supporting" USB devices (and we aren't talking about an
> > odd-ball
> > > device here; these are USB disks), when the "support" is partially
> > broken?
> >
> > As far as I know there are no ongoing plans to fix this issue. Yes, we need
> > support the oddballs too, of course.
>

> Actually, I'm arguing that you (FreeBSD, not necessarily the USB layer) need
> to better support the *main-stream* devices better (I care much less about
> the outliers, because by definition, the quality of their support affects
> far fewer people). These Toshiba drives are vanilla stuff, used by many for
> backups

You will notice that not many other user are replying in this thread
(so far at least). The reason for that is (for me at least) that most
of the usb hard drives work with FreeBSD.
so I will argue that your Toshiba drives are oddballs, and are broken.
Just because there is a lot of them doesn't make them correct.

And as you have noted, vendors don't care to fix their broken devices,
as long as they can sell enough of them.

Such is life, I guess.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen