umass regression

Bartosz Fabianowski freebsd at chillt.de
Tue Dec 27 14:20:56 UTC 2011

Hi list

I recently upgraded my amd64 box from 8-STABLE to 9-STABLE. I noticed
that after the upgrade, two of my umass devices fail to attach.

The first device is a 4th generation iPod running Rockbox. Under
8-STABLE, the iPod's 20GB had drive would show up as /dev/da1. Now, I
get the following dmesg output and no umass devices:

ugen1.7: <Rockbox.org> at usbus1
umass1: <Rockbox.org Rockbox media player, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00,
addr 7> on usbus1
umass1: could not setup required transfers, USB_ERR_NO_PIPE
device_attach: umass1 attach returned 6

The second device is a Garmin Dakota 20 running stock Garmin firmware.
Under 8-STABLE, the Garmin shows up as /dev/da1 and /dev/da2, the first
representing the device's internal memory, the second its microSD card.
Under 9-STABLE, I only get /dev/da1 and the following dmesg output:

ugen1.8: <vendor 0x091e> at usbus1
umass1: <vendor 0x091e product 0x23c0, class 0/0, rev 1.10/5.09, addr 8>
on usbus1
da1 at umass-sim1 bus 1 scbus4 target 0 lun 0
da1: <Garmin GARMIN Flash 1.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-5 device
da1: 1.000MB/s transfers
da1: 934MB (1912832 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 934C)

All my other umass devices work just fine, including a USB key that I
always have plugged in as /dev/da0 and many other USB keys and USB hard
drives.

The issue is annoying enough that I am willing to invest time and effort
into debugging it... but I would like to know where to look. Any ideas?
I still have my 8-STABLE install around, so I can do some comparisons
and regression testing.

- Bartosz