Access rights for specific USB device in /dev? (Was: Ippon UPS over USB (ugen1.2: <Cypress Semiconductor> at usbus1)?)

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 2 22:37:13 UTC 2011

Hello, .
You wrote 3 августа 2011 г., 2:20:59:

>   I'm trying to attach IPPON SmartPower 1000 UPS to FreeBSD 8-STABLE
> system via USB.
>   I'm posting it here, but not to NUT mailing list, because it seems,
> that blazer_usb will need HID device, and FreeBSD doesn't detect one.
  Ok, it was bad error message from driver. Really, problem was in
access rights to /dev/ugen1.2 node :)

  Now I have another question: devfs(8) uses device types or paths to
specify access rules for /dev/*, which is bad idea for USB device, as
it will change path when cable will be re-attached to another port. Is
here any method to set owner:group of device node by VID/PID or ID
string or something like this?

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>