usb mouse issue

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 15:22:20 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net>wrote:

> On Sunday 26 September 2010 13:51:14 Donald Allen wrote:
> > I am running 8.1 RELEASE on a Thinkpad X61. I have a wired Microsoft usb
> > mouse plugged into it. I have hal and dbus running, and when I start X,
> > everything is fine. However, if I shut down the X server and restart it
> > (via startx), the mouse no longer works, but the laptop's trackpoint
> > device does work. If I unplug and re-plug the mouse, it now works. Again,
> > as with my report on the usb disks, neither Linux nor OpenBSD exhibit
> this
> > behavior on this hardware.
> >
> > /Don Allen
>
> Usually this is not a USB kernel issue. Try looking in the HAL area.
> Somtimes
> it helps to CTRL+ALT+F1 then CTRL+ALT+F9

I just tried ctrl-alt-f1, ctrl-alt-f9 and that did not work. It's not a huge
problem, as unplugging and replugging fixes it. I was reporting it because
it seemed like a USB problem, but I can believe your guess that it isn't a
kernel issue. X is pretty fragile, messy stuff these days. I've seen plenty
of what Theo de Raadt has had to say about it. They've got a guy in the
OpenBSD development group whose only job is to try to put a working X
together from the chaos for their releases.

/Don