usb mouse issue

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 11:59:02 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 7:51 AM, Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com>wrote:

> I am running 8.1 RELEASE on a Thinkpad X61. I have a wired Microsoft usb
> mouse plugged into it. I have hal and dbus running, and when I start X,
> everything is fine. However, if I shut down the X server and restart it (via
> startx), the mouse no longer works, but the laptop's trackpoint device does
> work. If I unplug and re-plug the mouse, it now works. Again, as with my
> report on the usb disks, neither Linux nor OpenBSD exhibit this behavior on
> this hardware.

I should have mentioned that this happens every time on the X61. Also the
mouse is plugged directly into a usb connector on the machine -- no hub
involved.

I just tried the same experiment with an HP desktop I have that is now also
running 8.1 RELEASE. This machine has a Microsoft wireless mouse plugged
into an unpowered KVM switch. The problem I'm seeing with the laptop does
not occur with this machine -- the mouse works after restarting X.

/Don Allen