device attach problem on boot

Piotr Isajew pki at ex.com.pl
Fri Sep 3 12:25:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 09:12:45AM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Friday 03 September 2010 08:12:56 Piotr Isajew wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm considering to move one of my projects from Linux to FreeBSD. The
> > project uses lots of USB modems. To test if my hardware is supported
> > by FreeBSD I installed 8.1-STABLE. During first test I noticed that no
> > modems are detected by OS during startup (i.e. "usbconfig list"
> > doesn't show any of those devices). However if I remove a modem from
> > USB port once the system is running and then plug it in again, it's
> > properly detected and works without problems.
> >
> > The only dmesg lines that looks suspicious to me are:
> >
> > usb_alloc_device: getting device descriptor at addr 3 failed,
> > USB_ERR_STALLED usbd_req_re_enumerate: getting device descriptor at addr 3
> > failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
> >
> > I'll apreciate any help on solving this problem.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Piotr
>
> Have you tried using an external powered USB HUB?
>
> Do these modems have autoinstall disks?
>
> --HPS

Yes, they have autoinstall disks, but that's ok --- once modem is
attached to umass driver I can easly switch it to modem mode :-)

More important: after reading your post I just tried to boot with
modem plugged via external powered HUB (previously only plugged
directly to internal port with negative results). It works, so thanks
a lot for this hint.

Kind regards,

Piotr