webcamd and Pixart Imaging

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 08:57:46 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 01 September 2010 09:19:55 Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> > Will it matter if my kernel is a bit old (about 3 months)?  Are there any
> > (small) live linux distros that have good webcam support (so that I can
> > check if the cam works at all with gspca)?
> >
> > David
>
> Maybe you could check your webcam in Ubuntu?
>
> --HPS

Just before I was about to check the webcam with Ubuntu  I tried it on another
computer... and it worked.

To make sure: I copied across the debug build of webcam and it worked with
that as well.  It certainly is not the software on the webcamd side.  cuse4bsd
is the same on both computers.  Both systems are running different custom
kernels but contain the same usb devices (the same as GENERIC).

On the computer that works `pwcview -s vga` does not work.  I expect that to
be a limitation of the device.

On the other computer, I tried every USB port and none of them work.  The USB
controllers are:

ohci0 at pci0:0:11:0:      class=0x0c0310 card=0x50041458 chip=0x026d10de
rev=0xa3 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
    device     = 'MCP51 USB Controller'
    class      = serial bus
    subclass   = USB
ehci0 at pci0:0:11:1:      class=0x0c0320 card=0x50041458 chip=0x026e10de
rev=0xa3 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
    device     = 'MCP51 USB Controller'
    class      = serial bus
    subclass   = USB

The USB ports do work for umass, u3g and umodem devices.  Will the kernel
version have an impact, should I upgrade to head?

The webcam works with Ubuntu on both computers.

David