USB controller error logged when resuming after suspend

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 03:17:57 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Bruce Cran <bruce at cran.org.uk> wrote:
> I've been trying to get my laptop working with suspend/resume. It comes back,
> but USB seems rather unhappy about something for a while. Despite this,
> plugging a flash drive in does attach to the EHCI controller at usbus6.

You have better luck than me! On my system, "port 2 reset" fails, port
is disabled, an none of my external ports work at all, like this:

[SNIP]
> uhub_reattach_port: port 2 reset failed, error=USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> uhub_reattach_port: device problem (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT), disabling port 2
[SNIP]

It's becoming more well known that the USB stack isn't
"suspend/resume" safe at this point. Have you tried building your USB
systems as kernel modules and unloading/loading them via
/etc/rs.suspend|resume? I used to have luck doing that here, but
recently that has broken as well (running HEAD).

Also, it's been my experience that multiple suspend/resume cycles can
permanently shut down your ports...

-Brandon