copying /dev/da0 with dd(1) to file: output differs

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Fri Nov 19 20:46:57 UTC 2010

El día Friday, November 19, 2010 a las 12:39:13PM -0700, Warren Block escribió:

> > Just an idea: The USB key in question was new and I only created the
> > file system on it the usual way (fdisk, bsdlabel, newfs). Then I
> > restored the dump on it (which took 26 hours for 3.1 GByte dump file).
> > The USB key boots fine, btw.
>
> 26 *hours*?  USB 1.1?

I don't think so. It is the Acer One D250 netbook.

> Well, they could be anything.  But the original filesystem has
> formerly-used blocks with old data from deleted files.  dump doesn't
> copy those, but dd does.
>
> > Should I overwrite the full USB key from /dev/zero?
>
> Possibly there would still be differences.  Filesystem metadata like
> date last mounted, for example.  If you want a block-by-block duplicate,
> the brute-force method is to just dd the whole drive.  Use bs=64k or
> bs=1m to help reduce overhead.

Warren, perhaps you missed my point. I have a prepared boot-able key and
I want to give away a copy of it as a file on DVD. So I dd(1)'ed the key
to disk and did this twice to ensure that the copy was fine, but the two
files differ. How can I make sure that the file on disk (or DVD) is a
exact copy of the key?

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211