[RFC] Outline of USB process integration in the kernel taskqueue system

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Fri Nov 5 19:07:56 UTC 2010

On Friday, November 05, 2010 3:00:37 pm Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Friday 05 November 2010 19:48:05 Matthew Fleming wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > I find that strange, because that means if I queue a task again while it
> > > is running, then I doesn't get run? Are you really sure?
> >
> > If a task is currently running when enqueued, the task struct will be
> > re-enqueued to the taskqueue.  When that task comes up as the head of
> > the queue, it will be run again.
>
> Right, and the taskqueue_cancel has to cancel in that state to, but it doesn't
> because it only checks pending if !running() :-) ??

You can't close that race in taskqueue_cancel().  You have to manage that
race yourself in your task handler.  For the callout(9) API we are only
able to close that race if you use callout_init_mtx() so that the code
managing the callout wheel can make use of your lock to resolve the races.
If you use callout_init() you have to explicitly manage these races in your
callout handler.

--
John Baldwin