USB serial device naming

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Wed May 5 07:55:06 UTC 2010

Hi,

Maybe you can make PR on the issue and assign it to USB. Currently there is no
way of knowing which /dev/cuaUXXX belongs to which USB device. Probably we can
add the USB bus and address number as a part of the device coordinates. So
that /dev/ugen1.1 only creates /dev/cuaU1.1.xxx entries. And then we can also
remove the current unit number allocation structure I guess, if we use:

/dev/cuaU1.1.<iface_number>.<optional_sub_modem_unit>

The only problem is: Will we break any existing applications?

The second problem was that the USB attach event was generated before the
modem was probed and the umodem and other modem drivers do not provide any
information about their USB address in the pnpinfo. This can be fixed.

Old pnpinfo:

dev.ums.0.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x0 product=0x0 devclass=0x00 devsubclass=0x00
sernum="" release=0x0200 intclass=0x03 intsubclass=0x01

Suggested new pnpinfo (which is available from devd.conf I guess)

dev.ums.0.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x0 product=0x0 devclass=0x00 devsubclass=0x00
sernum="" release=0x0200 intclass=0x03 intsubclass=0x01 bus=1 addr=2
ifaceidx=0

What do you think?