usb to ps/2 adapter works in one machine, but not another?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Sun Mar 14 20:31:27 UTC 2010

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:06:01 -0800
perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:

> There may be a simpler solution.  The systems I've seen with only
> one ps/2 jack had both the keyboard and the mouse signals wired to
> the single jack.  (Quick test:  if it is wired this way it will work
> with either a keyboard or a mouse.)  If that's how yours is set up
> you can get a Y adapter with one ps/2 plug and two ps/2 jacks, and
> not need to deal with USB keyboard or mouse support at all.

True. I should have mentioned this option. Why haven't I just bought
such an adapter and be done with it?
Well, for some reason, these adapters (whether you call them "PS/2
splitters" or "PS/2 Y cable") are not easy to get hold of. None of my
"local" computer shops have them, and I wasn't able to find any on
Dealextreme either. If I do find a shop that have them listed, its not
in stock, and they charge a small fortune for them.
In contrast, usb to ps/2 adapters are almost everywhere.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen