usb/144414: Apple "Fn" key doesn't work properly

Steven Noonan steven at uplinklabs.net
Thu Mar 4 07:10:03 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR usb/144414; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Steven Noonan <steven at uplinklabs.net>
To: perryh at pluto.rain.com
Cc: freebsd-usb at freebsd.org, freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: usb/144414: Apple "Fn" key doesn't work properly
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 23:00:13 -0800

 On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:36 PM,  <perryh at pluto.rain.com> wrote:
 > Steven Noonan <steven at uplinklabs.net> wrote:
 >> Interestingly, my tilde key doesn't work either (though the key
 >> press is detected, no character shows when the key is pressed).
 >
 > Any chance it is configured as a "dead" key? =C2=A0If you press
 > tilde followed by n do you get an n with a tilde over it?

 Nope. It simply does nothing in the console.

 But in X11, it does something very odd. Shift+Tilde Key gives me '>',
 and Tilde Key gives me '<'. And Alt+Tilde gives me... What? I don't
 even know what action it's grabbing some arbitrary command in my
 .bash_history. It gave me the first item in my .bash_history the first
 time I tried it. Then I tried an arbitrary command ("echo"), and then
 Alt+Tilde gave me the second command in my .bash_history. Whaa?

 - Steven