SANE vs USB scanner on 8.0

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Sun Jan 24 13:31:41 UTC 2010

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:41:53 -0700 (MST)
Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> Don't know about the firmware upload for that scanner, but I've recently

There is a firmware file, and the upload "just works" under FreeBSD 7.x and earlier.
I have this in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf:
firmware /usr/local/share/sane/snapscan/SnapScan_1212U_2_Scanwise_2.00.bin

> found the easier way to set up USB scanners for SANE. Just use the USB
> vendor/product IDs in the SANE config file as they are shown (but didn't
> work way back when on FreeBSD, AFAIR).  So epson.conf has
>
> usb 0x04b8 0x010a

This is already in snapscan.conf:
# Agfa 1212U
usb 0x06bd 0x0001
usb 0x06bd 0x2061

The last one is the id; why there are two lines I don't know.

> scanimage -d epson --mode gray ...

Doesn't work for mine:
root at kg-v2# scanimage -d snapscan > /tmp/test.pnm
scanimage: open of device snapscan failed: Invalid argument
root at kg-v2# scanimage -v -d snapscan > /tmp/test.pnm
scanimage: open of device snapscan failed: Invalid argument

root at kg-v2# scanimage -L

> Maybe using the USB vendor/product IDs won't trigger the problem with
> the snapscan backend?

Goiod idea, but that wasn't the case.

> Just to add: due to the popularity of all-in-one inkjet/scanner/coffee
> machine/clock radio units, flatbed scanners are getting really cheap at
> thrift stores.  I bought an HP 2300C for the princely sum of $2 last
> week.  It's not much of a scanner, but it works fine with FreeBSD and
> doesn't need a firmware download.  The Epsons are better (IMO), but not
> as common.

I agree; flatbed scanners are cheap. However; I have this unit already taking up some space here,
it works with earlier versions of FreeBSD, so I would prefer that I could get it working
with FreeBSD 8 as well.

--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen