usb/142876: sysinstall abort:: usb stick as source media & usb stick as install target

Joe Barbish fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com
Sat Jan 16 10:00:10 UTC 2010

>Number:         142876
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       sysinstall abort:: usb stick as source media & usb stick as install target
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Using 2 USB sticks. da0 2GB as the bootable install media and da1 4GB
target device that freebsd is to be installed on.

I have put the disc-1 iso onto a usb stick. I can boot this usb stick (da0) and use the default sysinstall program to install from to any motherboard cabled hard drive. This works as exspected.

But when i try to target another usb stick (da1) to install to, sysinstall works normally up to the message "this is your last chance before writing to the media".

Then i get a abort message
"Unable to find device node for /dev/da1s1b in /dev!".
I then select vty1 and see this message
"geom: da1: media size does not match label."
Followed by these repeating messages
"debug scanning disk da1 root file system" and
"debug scanning disk da1 swap file system"

As sysinstall presents da1 for fdisk i selected to use all the 4gb for the slice and took the auto partition allocation option in disklabel.