Getting a scanner to work with new usb stack?

Andrew Reilly areilly at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 4 03:27:26 UTC 2010

Hi there,

For many years I've been happily (if only occasionally)
using an AGFA Snapscan e20 flat-bed USB scanner, using
xsane.  This scanner (apparently) requires a "firmware
upload", which I had managed to arrange with this
line in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf:
firmware /usr/local/share/sane/snapscan/snape20.bin

I don't know whether or not that is (or is related to) the
problem, but it isn't working any more, and I've run out of
ideas to try, so thought I'd ask here.

sane-find-scanner finds:
found USB scanner (vendor=0x06bd [AGFA ], product=0x2091 [SNAPSCAN]) at libusb:/dev/usb:/dev/ugen0.3
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by

But no amount of scanimage -d spellings or SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE
tweaking seems to make scanimage or xsane happy.
("snapscan:/dev/uscanner0" used to be what I used.)

For what it's worth, I'm running -current as of Saturday, and my
dmesg.boot says:
ugen0.3: <AGFA> at usbus0

Any suggestions?

Cheers,