usb/144332: Kernel compile fails when aue is enabled but not other USB ethernet drivers

Matt D. Harris mdh at lpwv.org
Fri Feb 26 22:20:02 UTC 2010

>Number:         144332
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       Kernel compile fails when aue is enabled but not other USB ethernet drivers
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD vesper.int 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #0: Sat Oct  4 14:45:06 EDT 2008     root at vesper.int:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VESPER  i386

When compiling the kernel (to upgrade to RELENG_8_0), the compile fails when the only USB ethernet driver being compiled in is aue.  Since I only have an aue device, I don't normally compile in the others.  Adding other USB ethernet drivers to the kernel config fixes the issue.

The compile fails during linking, and the functions missing are all from sys/dev/usb/net/usb_ethernet.c which leads me to believe that for some reason aue alone just isn't enough to get it to build/link that file, but that some other USB ethernet drivers do cause it to be built and linked.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
I believe the fix would be to ensure that sys/dev/usb/net/usb_ethernet.c is built and linked if any USB ethernet driver is configured into the kernel via the kernel conf.  At least one of the USB [wired] ethernet drivers (I've enabled axe, aue, cue, kue, rue, and udav) causes it to be built and linked, however aue alone (without axe, cue, kue, rue, and udav) does not.