ukbd probe order regression

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Sun Feb 14 22:22:27 UTC 2010

On 2010-Feb-03 10:56:46 +0100, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net> wrote:
>On Wednesday 03 February 2010 10:47:56 Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> In 7.x, ukbd probes before the kernel mounts root.  In 8.x, ukbd
>> probes after the kernel mounts root (it actually probes asynchronously
>> after the "Enter full pathname of shell..." prompt).  (This bit me
>> badly because I managed to screw up my root disk name and got
>> prompted with 'mountroot>' but had no keyboard).

>There has been some patches to ukbd.c recently. Try to apply those first:
>
>fetch -o /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/input/ukbd.c
>"http://p4db.freebsd.org/fileDownLoad.cgi?FSPC=//depot/projects/usb/src/sys/dev/usb/input/ukbd.c&amp;REV=43"

Sorry for the delay in responding.  This version of ukbd.c hasn't
made any obvious improvement - the ugen2.2 and ukbd0 probe messages
still don't appear until about a second after the single-user
prompt for a shell.  (I haven't tried breaking my root mount to see
if input at the mountroot> prompt now works).

--
Peter Jeremy