Driver for LEDs on Logitech MX610

Christof Schulze christof.schulze at gmx.com
Wed Feb 10 01:27:04 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

currently I own a logitech mx610 which is a mouse that registers as two
separate USB devices (lsusb -vvv output [3]). One for the regular mouse usage,
the other for controlling the LEDs that are on the mouse. They do register as
ugen and ums device on FreeBSD. Since I find it cool I would like to use those
LEDs for various notification purposes.
There is a hack to make use of these LEDs on Linux available [1] which is not
written with portability in mind from what I can tell. So I would like to get
this working on FreeBSD and looked into the matter. It seems like I want to
control those LEDs using usbhid. The manpage however is quite sketchy and I
cannot make heads or tails of it.
I would greatly appreciate some help in getting this to work. I'd like to know
what I have to do to the device to send the commands needed which are
represented by the control char array given in [1].

Thank you very much in advance.

[1] http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2029
[2] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2008-
January/002820.html