Fwd: Re: input-wacom 40.0.2.2_6 on FreeBSD 8.1 for Intuos 4?

Bartosz Fabianowski freebsd at chillt.de
Sat Dec 25 00:47:18 UTC 2010

I just stumbled upon this message by accident. Since it is still
unanswered, I thought I might reply.

> I was told to "get the [input-wacom] USB driver into the FreeBSD
> project, where all the USB gods have access". Are ye such gods? How
> does one get something into the project?

The most important thing is to get the driver updated to the new USB
stack first. Then, one can think about getting it into the main tree so
that it can easier be updated if the USB stack changes again.

> The original developer of the driver has "disappeared" and there's
> a lot to be done.

I beg to differ :). I never disappeared. I was just busy finishing my
PhD (and still am to some extent). I no longer have access to a Cintiq
or an Intuos but I have a Bamboo Fun and a Bamboo Pen & Touch. I would
very much like to port my driver to the new USB stack and get these
supported. As with all free software development, spare time is the issue.

> Support for the latest Wacom tablets has to be added to the module.
> It is unlikely that adding the device IDs suffices to achieve this.

Correct. There are differences in protocol between device families and
adjustments have to be made.

> One would probably have to reverse engineer stuff or sign and NDA
> with Wacom.

I actually have sufficient information to pull this all of. Really, time
is the only constraint.

> The interface between the kernel module and the Xorg driver is not
> stable, the module has to be adopted to the linuxwacom 0.10.8
> interface.

This is not very hard to do.

- Bartosz