usb/149283: avrdude unable to talk to Arduino board (via uftdi)

Marcin Cieslak saper at saper.info
Wed Aug 4 20:21:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> As Marcin Cieslak wrote:
>
>> Checked with the same hardware (dual-boot) and Microsoft
>> Vista (with arduino-0018 IDE) and the board can be
>> contacted and programmed without any problems.
>
> Your check on Windows has been using a stock AVRDUDE (e.g., a WinAVR
> compilation), too?  Or another tool?

On Windows I have used arduino Java IDE. Arduino IDE distribution
actually includes a whole WinAVR stack including avrdude.exe,
but I didn't pay attention what is actually used.
I will reboot to Windows now and check the commandline invocation.

On FreeBSD arduino the Java IDE tries to use avrdude and fails the same
was as from commandline.

> IIRC, the Arduino bootloader requires some special tricks in order to
> talk to it.  I think AVRDUDE v5.10 still lacks that feature.  Could
> you try the SVN version of AVRDUDE?

AVRDUDE is mentioned for example here http://www.arduino.cc/playground/FreeBSD/CLI
as the tool to use.

I have tried "-c arduino" or "-c stk500v1" with trunk and I get still
the same affect as with 5.10 (Programmer timeout).

What maybe important: TX/RX LED on the board don't react at all
when trying to use avrdude (there is only a single blink
on firmware LED - which means bootloader start).

With Windows - TX/RX indicated clearly some activity.

> (I don't see a GNATS ID in the subject.  Has this been actually filed
> via send-pr?)

Hm, yes, sorry... You were copied on the original send-pr.

--Marcin