8.0-RC1: AMD CS5536 (Geode) USB 2.0 controller strange behavour

Eugene Grosbein eugen at kuzbass.ru
Mon Sep 28 00:09:59 UTC 2009

> The following debug prints clearly show that your device does not respond.
> And the USB stack kicks in after a while to fetch the status of the drive.
> Previously when I have seen this kind of issues, it was always the USB device
> stack that was at failure. I've never seen that it was the fault of the USB
> host stack.

Then I wonder why both devices (HDD and flash) do not respond being attached
to this CS5536-system and work just fine with another systems.

> You would need an USB analyser to figure out for sure. If the
> situation is that the USB device hardware is reponding with NAKs to the OUT
> or PING tokens (USB term), then the schedule on the USB host is setup correctly
> and it is a device problem.

What is USB analyser in first place? :-)

> Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of your USB device about this?

No, because it works with other boxes.

> What is the CPU speed difference between the two boxes you are running
> tests on?

CS5536-based system is uniprocessor and has:

CPU: Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS (499.90-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x5a2  Stepping = 2
  Features=0x88a93d<FPU,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,CX8,SEP,PGE,CMOV,CLFLUSH,MMX>
  AMD Features=0xc0400000<MMX+,3DNow!+,3DNow!>

The CPU is idle while dd is running:

CPU:  0.4% user,  0.0% nice,  0.8% system,  1.2% interrupt, 97.7% idle

My ICH7-based desktop is SMP and has:

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2805.72-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf62  Stepping = 2

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0xe43d<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,CNXT-ID,CX16,xTPR,PDCM>
  AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  TSC: P-state invariant

Eugene Grosbein