8.0-RC1: AMD CS5536 (Geode) USB 2.0 controller strange behavour

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at freebsd.org
Sat Sep 26 09:53:35 UTC 2009

On Saturday 26 September 2009 10:17:33 Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> > Try using bs=65536
> > Any difference.
>
> Not better.
>
> > Output from "usbconfig" would also be nice
>
> %usbconfig
> ugen0.1: <OHCI root HUB AMD> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps)
> pwr=ON ugen1.1: <EHCI root HUB AMD> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH
> (480Mbps) pwr=ON ugen1.2: <FreeAgent Go Seagate> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST
> spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON
>
> HDD has only one cable connection, so it is powered from USB.
>
> > Have you taken spin-up time into account?
>
> I made severals tests in a row, speed varies greatly stiil.
> And there is no such problem with ICH7-based system (975XBX motherboard).

Hi,

Could you check if these are due to device timeouts in the CAM layer?

There is some debugging you can turn on:

sysctl hw.usb.umass.debug=-1

Probably it will flood the console. Maybe you could add some prints to
/sys/dev/usb/storage/umass.c in all the "default:" cases in the USB callbacks
and print out the "error" code. That would quickly indicate if your device has
an issue with timing, I.E. that the firmware in the USB device part is
hanging.